Monday, August 5, 2013

42 (2013)

I don't know much about baseball, it's true. I can remember a thing or two about the '90-'91 Minnesota Twins, since that was the team I watched when I was into the sport. I remember Kirby Puckett and Chuck Knoblauch and other various things, but my knowledge is pretty limited at best. So it goes without saying that I know basically squat about Jackie Robinson. I know he was the first black player to play professionally, and that he was apparently very good. And that's about it.

After seeing "42" I can now add that he played for the Brooklyn Dodgers, he was married, he had a kid, they made him play 1st base, and he apparently had a knack for stealing bases to the list of things that I know about Jackie Robinson. That is the extent of my knowledge. I still don't have much of an idea who Jackie Robinson was because "42" didn't do much to tell me anything about him besides those very basic facts.

That's not to say that "42" is a bad film. It's a decently made, nuts and bolts bio-pic that tells an undoubtedly complex story in an undoubtedly simplified way. That sounds like a slam but bio-pics by their nature are dumbed down because otherwise they'd be 37 hours long and probably really boring. In that respect "42" is fine. It's good. It's solid. If you're a sports fan or if you like baseball movies you've probably little to find offensive within it. And I suppose it's sufficiently inspirational to boot.

And filled with the requisite Spielbergian wistful gazing.

My biggest problem is that the film makes Jackie Robinson seem more like an idea or a theme than an actual person, if that makes any sense. I got a basic grasp on what it is that he did from the film, but I still don't know who he was. He's simply a near-mythic figure who floats through the movie on a rail which brings him through the tunnel of racism and hate, which he takes on the chin stoically until the ride stops and he saves the day in a manner which is most likely not entirely historically accurate since it reeks of Hollywood convenience. Again, all of this is done well, but it's hardly anything we've not seen before.

Pictured Above - Oh hell, you've seen this before.

Perhaps it's the fact that this trope of the boundary-breaking pioneer having to contend with bigoted opposition has been so thoroughly crammed into our brains at this point that it all seems quite trite. Of course that subject, particularly when it involves racism, is still an important subject to address since it's still an unfortunately prevalent force in this time and age. But that still doesn't stop a movie about it from being slightly banal if it's not doing anything new with the format.

There are good things to take away from it, however. Chadwick Boseman's performance as Jackie is respectable, if ever so slightly low-key. He was more of an impressive physical presence than a dramatic one, since the dude really looks like he knows what he's doing with a bat. However he did get a moment to shine during a sequence which is probably the best stretch of the film, during a game where the opposing team's manager (Alan Tudyk) is hurling racist insults until Jackie goes into the tunnel and snaps. That scene also involves the real memorable take-away from the film, Harrison Ford, who tears it up as the Dodger's manager, Branch Rickey.

So much lawn to tell those damn kids to get off of...

I don't want to say that Ford is the only shining light in "42," since there is plenty of good acting to be found here, but he's probably the thing you're going to remember most about it. And it's not because he's Harrison Ford, either, although that does help a bit. Branch Rickey is just the most interesting character to be found here, and there's more probing insight into his mind than any other person. Because of that I had more connection to him than the main character, whom like I said was simply a figurehead to be showcased throughout the various stops along the path of the "inspirational sports movie railroad."

So would I recommend "42?" Sure, go for it. But don't expect to be too blown away by it. Or even remember much about it after it's done besides Harrison Ford doing a crotchety old man voice. I must admit that was pretty awesome.

Oh yeah. I automatically go to Jay Z when I think of the 1940's.

THE BOTTOM LINE - "42" is serviceable but a bit lackluster and mostly forgettable. If you had a knowledge of old-school baseball it would probably help put more things into historical context, but as it is, it's just kind of there. Not bad, but pretty much exactly what you'd probably expect it to be. And not a quick hand-off from shortstop to 2nd base more.

No comments:

Post a Comment